Vehicle Physics Programmer
As Vehicle Physics Programmer, you will be working alongside a talented team of Physics Programmers and vehicle specialists, driving forward the real-time physical simulation of a variety of vehicle types for open-world gameplay.
You will be joining the studio in a key role at pivotal time as we scale up to develop an ambitious and ground-breaking open-world game. The role brings the opportunity of making a significant personal contribution to a high-profile project.
We believe in iterative development, and you will need to be comfortable working in a fluid environment with competing demands.
- Work with the Vehicle Handling Designer to refine and implement context-based vehicle systems that support and/or modify the existing physics simulation to create a satisfying, intuitive, and accessible Vehicle Gameplay experience.
- Research, communicate, and implement technical solutions that support the efficient production of a large number of vehicle assets into the future.
- Provide technical guidance to continually support the vehicle team’s workflows and pipelines.
- Proactively provide suggestions and make production-oriented arguments for utilising new and emerging technologies and implementing them into our vehicle simulations.
- Liaise with the physics and engine team to troubleshoot issues and find solutions.
- Maintain quality and consistency across your work to meet objectives, quality bar, and schedule.
- Implement feedback from the Vehicle Handling Designer and Lead Physics Programmer as required.
- Expert C/C++ knowledge and proven experience in the game industry.
- Strong understanding of multi-threaded programming concepts.
- Strong understanding of modern CPU architectures.
- Must have a demonstrable in-depth knowledge, practical experience and personal interest in wheeled vehicle dynamics and the mechanical systems involved e.g.
- Tyre slip angles and slip ratios
- Suspension and damping
- Steering geometry (castor, camber, toe angle etc.)
- Must understand and be familiar with how real-world vehicle technologies such as Traction Control, Anti-lock Braking, Active Differentials etc. function and how effective equivalents to these systems may be applicable to our vehicle gameplay
- Must be familiar with Stunt and Movie-type driving manoeuvres and their terminology e.g., Drifts, J-turns, Burnouts etc.
- Strong communication skills with the capability to successfully work across multiple teams.
- A positive collaborative and professional working attitude.
- Interest in latest advancements in video game technologies.
- Direct Experience with Chaos/PhysX and Unreal Engine 4/5
Build A Rocket Boy is developing EVERYWHERE; an experience with a breadth of unimaginable gameplay adventure.
We are a mix of industry leading veterans whose credits include some of the best selling and most loved games of all time. We’re a creative digital entertainment studio with an open and progressive methodology, dedicated to delivering games of the highest calibre possible.
If you want to feel comfortable, inspired, and appreciated in your work pursuits then come join us. We have offices in Edinburgh, Budapest and consider WFH candidates.
Location:Date posted: 2022-07-23