PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Summary: Ensure the smooth running of tools, software and workflows used across projects. Provide day to day pipeline related technical support and assistance between the Rigging and Animation teams, as well as developing new tools and scripts to meet the specific needs of projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Supports Animation in delivering work on time by helping to wrangle mocap, animation, and other extraneous data types; debugging issues that may arise and aiming to reduce redundancy through tools and automation.
- Intercepts issues from the Animation department as they relate to rigging and animation systems, and works to help the team debug and resolve issues before involving rigging.
- Tracks, manages and triages issues via internal bug tracking software (such as Jira, Shotgrid, or other).
- Continually assesses character pipeline & related workflows to identify key areas for improvements to efficiency.
- Identifies pipeline bugs, implements fixes, and communicates to departments accordingly.
- Works to extend or develop a mixture of small tools and more comprehensive and scalable solutions to maximize quality and efficiency of the rigging and animation teams.
- Supports Rigging in delivering assets on time by solving pipeline related technical issues affecting Animation.
- Participates in testing of new and existing software, features, and tools.
- Creates and contributes to technical and user facing documentation.
- Develops strong working relationships with the Rigging, Character Art, Animation and Core teams to ensure consistent and clear communication between the departments.
- Gains in depth knowledge of adjoining department processes and provides input where required to drive quality and efficiency.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: There are no supervisory responsibilities.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education/Experience: Two years plus related work experience or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience should include character setup, python scripting and a solid understanding of all technical aspects of Maya animation. An understanding of basic animation principals is also required.
Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and linear algebra and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Reasoning Skills: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Computer Skills: Expert knowledge of Maya, and a working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite. Expert knowledge of MEL, Python, and PyMel scripting as it applies to character setup and animation. Strong working knowledge of UI development with PySide/PyQt. Knowledge of the Maya API and Plugin Development is a plus.
Other Skills: The ability to articulate thoughts and ideas effectively both verbally and in writing. This position may be required to help evaluate new technical tools and make suggestions in either the implementation or practical uses of said tools. Possess an understanding of animation techniques for the purpose of proactive problem solving and trouble shooting. Maintains an understanding of skeletons, facial animation methodologies, constraints and other Maya tools and systems used for character animation.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.
Location:Date posted: 2022-07-23