Summary: Responsible for the design, implementation and management of the technical animation and rigging pipeline. Lead a team of Character TDs to meet project goals. Coordinate and participate in the entire in-game character creation process - concept>modeling>rig>animation>implementation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Manages in-game character rigs and mocap; including creation, performance, improvements, and schedules Manages cinematic mocap pipeline and inter-department coordination, including the process for creating data and getting data into the game
- Manages the facial rig pipeline, including vendor rig specification, evaluation and feedback, and internal rig creation
- Manages, designs, and develops, the animation pipeline and production process for the department based on project and companywide goals, needs and requirements
- Works with Core on improving engine and tools features to advance the state of the art of in-game and cinematic character performances
- Coordinates with Character, Animation Leads and Project Management on the delivery of assets to the Animation Department
- Schedule and assign rigging tasks
- Works with Art Department on modeling and texturing practices to facilitate the set-up process and to advance the visual fidelity of the character performances
- Liaises with Project Management team for animation project (technical) issues and schedules and IT for animation support
- Manages the development industry-leading systems, tools, R+D initiatives, and workflows for character rigging, animation and physics simulations.
- Maintains an advisory role to QA support team in relation to character rig and animation testing environments
- Maintain an expert understanding of the latest improvements in Maya, Motionbuilder and Moven and stay informed on the latest in animation, rigging, and game production techniques from various media related sources
- Ensures that all complaints and concerns related to inappropriate or unprofessional conduct in the workplace, are address immediately to foster a safe work environment
- Other duties may be assigned
Supervisory Responsibilities: Directly supervises a team of Character TDs on a project. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education/Experience: Eight to ten years related work experience in character setup, python scripting and all technical aspects of Maya animation. A strong understanding of animation principals is also required.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Reasoning Skills: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Computer Skills: Extensive knowledge of Maya tools and a working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite. Expert knowledge of MEL and Python scripting as it applies to character setup and animation. Basic knowledge of DOS.
Other Skills: The ability to articulate thoughts and ideas effectively both verbally and in writing. This position may be required to help evaluate new technical tools, and make suggestions in either the implementation or practical uses of said tools. Possess an understanding of animation techniques for the purpose of proactive problem solving and trouble shooting. Maintains an understanding of skeletons, facial animation methodologies, constraints and other Maya tools and systems used for character animation. The ability to lead a small team of Character TDs.
At SIE, we consider several factors when setting each role’s base pay range, including the competitive benchmarking data for the market and geographic location.
Please note that the base pay range may vary in line with our hybrid working policy and individual base pay will be determined based on job-related factors which may include knowledge, skills, experience, and location.
In addition, this role is eligible for SIE’s top-tier benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), paid time off, wellness program and coveted employee discounts for Sony products. This role also may be eligible for a bonus package. Click here to learn more.
Location: United States, Remote
Country: United States
Subscribe to all Animation jobs in United States
Create Profile and Get Noticed