Staff Software Engineer - SHIPwatch
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Working as part of a small team responsible for developing and supporting the PlayStation Studios video platform the successful applicant will design and code features for SHIPwatch.
- Primarily responsible for developing high quality, stable code for SHIPwatch.
- Create testable, efficient and reusable code by using best-in-class software development practices.
- Lead design and code reviews.
- Create unit and functional tests.
- Participate in the continuous improvement of the development process.
- Boost performance and encourage innovation.
- Stay plugged into emerging technologies and industry trends and apply them into operations and activities.
- Perform other Ad Hoc tasks as required.
- Expert in React.js.
- Basic proficiency in Docker, Elasticsearch.
- Experience with video file formats like MP4, MOV, WEBM, WMV, etc.
- Knowledge of SQL database design and implementation.
- Experience delivering high performance, scalable services.
- Track record monitoring and analyzing application performance, isolating issues or bottlenecks that could impact reliability, performance and scalability.
- Ability to develop a deep understanding of Amazon Web Services, at enterprise scale including use of AWS Media Services.
- Experience executing performance testing and/or development efforts for a complex, high throughput system.
- Solid understanding of the path(s) user requests follow from web browser to back-end.
- Extensive experience with agile development methodologies and test-driven development processes.
- Has the drive and passion for quality with the ability to inspire, excite and motivate other team members.
- Has outstanding verbal and written communication skills, and is able to work with others at all levels, effective at working with geographically remote and culturally diverse teams.
Support and/or Manage internal video platform development:
- Responsible for specific phases or portions of product development from design through final approval.
- Apply working knowledge PSS needs to enhance creative relationships, guide the development of new technologies and track progress.
- Work with team to plan and troubleshoot production issues.
- Support development efforts to keep product on schedule and within budget.
- Schedule and maintain tasking of departmental and interdisciplinary teams.
- Communicate between team members, consultants, inter-company and external resources.
- Break down large or complex tasks into meaningful subtasks.
- Assimilate diverse information and assess the impact of PSS initiatives on the project.
- Identify all groups that may be affected by an aspect of the project, and involve them – actively solicit their input and follow up through execution.
- Hold regular meetings with PSS teams and individuals to discuss status, resolve issues and share information.
- Partner with senior members of the team to ensure a common understanding and agreement on the project scope and objectives and on any subsequent change.
- Foster and enhance creative working relationships with internal development teams.
- Follow necessary processes and procedures for product development to ensure SIE company-wide policies are adhered to.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.
Location:Date posted: 2022-07-23