Senior VFX Artist
Would you like to work on some of the greatest franchises in gaming history? What about working on our new original IP? Certain Affinity is the largest independent developer in Texas, based out of Austin, and we have a growing presence in Toronto, Canada. Our culture reflects the values and the vibrant nature of the cities we call home. This includes a commitment to evolution, diversity, excellence, and work-life balance. We are also excited to be the latest recipient of the Canadian Studio of the Year award. We're best known for co-developing numerous AAA FPS games, though now we are creating compelling new games of our own. We're always on the lookout for amazing talent to join our team.
As a VFX Artist at Certain Affinity, you’ll create a variety of realistic and fantastical real-time effects for environments, characters, and weapons in AAA console titles.
- Work with Art Director, Technical Artists, and Map Art Leads to plan and create visual effects for in-game environments
- Collaborate with Senior FX artists to iterate and polish and tune effects to meet visual, design, and performance targets
- Create pre-rendered sprite sequences through Maya, Houdini, Combustion, Fume, etc.
- Create runtime effects simulations in propriety and third-party engines
- Create geometry, material, and post-process effects
- Develop, learn, and share new techniques and creative approaches to effects creation
- 2+ years experience as a VFX Artist in the game industry
- Experience using proprietary effects tools and editors
- Experience establishing and driving new workflows for effects creation
- Shipped at least one title as a VFX Artist
- Excellent technical understanding of real-time particle and mesh emitter systems
- Able to optimize effects while maintaining a very high level of quality
- Strong understanding of motion, forces, and fluid behaviors
- Strong foundation knowledge in traditional arts, including but not limited to graphic design or illustration, life drawing, environmental and/or architectural illustration, or similar
- Proficient knowledge of Maya, Max, and/or another 3D software package
- Proficient knowledge of Photoshop, After Effects, or similar image editing and motion graphic software
- Solid understanding of color theory and be able to create balanced and appealing color palettes
- Must be punctual, diligent, articulate, and organized
- Easily manages time constraints and multiple priorities
- Can initiate visual direction without a specific concept or design
- Can effectively collaborate with all disciplines - game design, production, and engineers as well as artists
- A desire to work in a diverse and inclusive environment
- A deep passion for games
- Shipped 1 or more AAA titles within the last 3 years
- Experience developing effects for first-person shooters
- Experience in film as a VFX Artist
Certain Affinity or its partners or affiliates run background checks on candidates or employees with the written authorization from the candidates or employees. These may be done for the purposes of offering employment or determining eligibility to work on a specific project. Multiple searches may be required.
Certain Affinity is authorized to do business in many, but not all, of the states in the US and the Canadian provinces. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Certain Affinity is registered, you may not be eligible for employment as a fully remote employee. Please speak with your recruiter to learn more about where we are registered.
Location:Date posted: 2022-10-24