Senior Technical Artist, External Productions
Our External Productions team is championing a long-term partnership with one of our key customers developing an unannounced AAA game, improving artists’ workflows and content pipelines. Your experience will be put to use improving the Unity Engine and Editor for creators. You’ll enable customers to optimize their toolchains pipelines, and help push the Unity Engine’s boundaries to hit groundbreaking visual targets. You’ll build workflow tools to improve the speed at which artists can iterate on visual assets in Unity, art- and content-related workflows, including prototyping and iterating on DCC pipelines; and build art assets to demonstrate how to achieve specific customer visual quality and performance goals.
Your day-to-day work will involve interacting directly with technical and artistic leaders, researching and delivering solutions to their content-related challenges, and formulating innovative approaches to efficiently bring content into the Unity Engine. If you're a creative problem solver who enjoys finding new ways to make games beautiful, you’ll grow with our team.
This role will require occasional travel to customers’ offices for customer collaboration, or to other Unity offices for training. Travel is expected less than 25% of the time.
What you’ll be doing
- Developing tools, workflows, and scripts improving the speed and flexibility of artists who are crafting and importing content
- Building and optimizing models, textures, rigs, and shaders to demonstrate techniques and standard methodologies for achieving customers’ visual and performance targets in Unity
- Analyzing and discussing performance impacts and visual trade-offs of changes to processes and content with our customers while training yourself to strategically improve our technology
- Proactively formulate, propose, and implement improvements to assets and asset development processes while advocating for, and implementing improvements for Unity’s products that benefit all creators
- Prototyping and scripting tools to build and improve digital asset workflows using Python and C#.
What we’re looking for
- Experience writing shaders for real-time rendering in HLSL or GLSL
- Proven experience shipping a real-time 3D game while working in an artistic or technical role
- Ability to develop and maintain workflow pipelines/scripts/tools within the Unity editor and content creation software suites, using C# or Python.
- Strong artistic background and content development skills, able to build assets that have high technical skill or specialist knowledge.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English and are able to clearly communicate ideas and technical knowledge
You might also have
- Familiarity with three or more of the following tools: Substance Painter, Substance Designer, Quixel Mixer, ZBrush, Photoshop, Houdini, Git, Perforce, SVN
- Experience as a technical artist or technical animator on a AAA game title.
- Experience creating visual content for multiple real-time game engines, or experience with our engine
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Life at Unity
Unity (NYSE: U) is the world’s leading platform for creating and operating real-time 3D (RT3D) content. Creators, ranging from game developers to artists, architects, automotive designers, filmmakers, and others, use Unity to make their imaginations come to life. Unity’s platform provides a comprehensive set of software solutions to create, run and monetize interactive, real-time 2D and 3D content for mobile phones, tablets, PCs, consoles, and augmented and virtual reality devices.
Unity is at the forefront of development by working alongside partners to ensure optimized support for the latest releases and platforms. Apps developed by Unity creators were downloaded more than five billion times per month in 2020. For more information, please visit www.unity.com.
Unity is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. If there are preparations or accommodations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Unity does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Unity will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Unity.
Location: Port Coquitlam, CanadaDate posted: 2021-12-17