Senior Site Reliability Engineer
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
As a member of the Commerce Reliability Engineering team, you will carry the responsibility of keeping our monetization platform highly available and resilient, while continually enabling our service teams to deliver new and exciting product and technical features. Our team strives to iteratively learn, improve and automate our processes every single day, which continually improves operational excellence within our organization. You will be empowered to be a technical leader on our team, helping identify and proactivity drive improvements in both process and technology.
As a Senior SRE your responsibilities will include hands-on application management of over 90+ commerce and payment related services within an AWS cloud environment, ensuring availability, resiliency, scalability and performance. You will work side by side with our service development teams to develop, automate and ensure the production readiness of all new services and features introduced.
Other responsibilities include...
- Apply, integrate and automate the configuration and ongoing operations of AWS managed services.
- Identify areas for operational process improvement and automation. Drive hands on development efforts to automate these processes within our environment.
- Increase observability on our platform by implementing robust monitoring and alerting patterns across our services. Develop rich, informative dashboards / reports on our services that provide valuable insight, and develop meaningful alerting patterns to drive down the MTTD and MTTR on platform incidents.
- Collaborate and partner with other SRE teams that specialize in areas such as platform hosting, Kubernetes, CICD, and data services to inspire changes and ensure optimal application performance and resiliency across all back-end services within PlayStation.
- Iteratively lead performance and capacity validation analysis for our commerce platform services. Use AWS patterns and technologies such as spot instances, dynamic auto-scaling and EKS to efficiently make the most of our AWS spend.
- Review service flows and architecture to influence resiliency, availability scalability and consistency for all services within our platform
- Provide rotational on-call support where you’ll respond, detect, triage and resolve production incidents on the commerce and payments platform.
- Conduct, document and present root cause analysis documents to share incident insights and findings with our broader engineering organization.
- BS degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related technical subject area.
- 5+ years hands-on AWS experience – integrating, developing and managing applications
- 5+ years of relevant work experience in a high-volume and/or critical production, software environment
- 5+ years of hands on software engineering or supporting/maintaining software systems experience (Java and/or c++ services)
- 3+ years of experience with building automation into daily operational processes through one or more programming languages (preferably Python).
- Experience with container technologies and orchestration (ie: Docker, Kubernetes, EKS, Fargate)
- Strong experience in configuring, tuning and automating operational responsibilities for AWS managed data services including RDS, DynamoDB and Elasticache
- Experience with monitoring and log management tools (ie: DataDog, CloudWatch, Splunk)
- Hands-on experience in triaging and tuning Java cloud applications with integration into AWS managed services
- Solid understanding of AWS networking systems and protocols (ie: ALB, R53, API-Gateway, TCP/IP, HTTP/HTTPS, DNS)
- Experience with developing or supporting Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery/Deployment pipelines (CI/CD)
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.
Location:Date posted: 2022-07-23