Senior Legal & Business Affairs Manager - Commercial & PlayStation Studios
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
SIEE Legal & Business Affairs Department has a key role in advancing and defining the commercial strategy of the PlayStation® business in EMEA, as well as dealing with the commercial and legal aspects of all transactions and the enforcement of its IPs and brand protection. We are looking for a talented associate level lawyer who wants to work closely with PlayStation business stakeholders, assisting in all aspects of commercial legal transactions.
What you'll be doing:
As a Senior Manager in our Department, you will be acting as a business partner with internal stakeholders, particularly for the PlayStation Games Studios. You will need a solid track record around complex, commercial IP negotiations. You will be closely involved in arrangements relating to Software development, Software licensing, Talent acquisition (union and non-union arrangements), and Services arrangements related to games development. You will be a key legal support for our Internal and External Development Studios working collaboratively with industry leaders so strong industry interest/ knowledge is essential. Responsibilities include:
- Drafting, reviewing, negotiating Software Development agreements, including early prototype agreements
- Structuring and negotiating a broad range of commercial agreements including developer support and publisher contracts
- Drafting, reviewing, negotiating Third party services agreements and global framework arrangements, IT and Middleware agreements
- Advising and negotiating IP and content licensing agreements
- Identifying and providing training to the Legal team and to business stakeholders on relevant legal and commercial issues
- Providing strategic legal and regulatory advice related to game development to senior management and business stakeholders
- Ad hoc project work
- Supervising and supporting development of the junior members of the team
What we are looking for:
- Qualified UK lawyer with a minimum of 8 yrs pqe+
- Extensive experience and expertise in the videogames industry either with a games developer, publisher, platform and/or TMT law firm
- Clear understanding and experience around console, PC and/or Mobile business models
- Extensive commercial contract drafting and negotiating experience
- Excellent analytical and communication (written and oral) skills, including the ability to successfully work with a range of personalities and styles
- The ability to foster and build good cross-functional working relationships not just within the global legal team but across the entire PlayStation business
- Commercial acumen in performing an advisory role to business stakeholders at all levels
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment
- Team worker with a sense of humour
- Discretionary bonus opportunity
- Private Medical Insurance
- Dental Scheme
- London Allowance (if applicable)
- 25 days holiday per year
- On Site Gym
- Subsidised Café
- Free soft drinks
- On site bar
- Access to cycle garage and showers
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.
Location:Date posted: 2022-07-23