Senior Director of Reliability Engineering and Operations
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
We are looking for a leader to build the best system operations team in the gaming industry!
PlayStation Network (PSN) is one of the global top digital platform for online interactive entertainment. PSN Global Service Operations (GSO) leads the stability of the PlayStation Network.
As a Senior Director of Reliability Engineering and Operations, you will deliver high quality operations service for incident resolution, as well as developing engineering solutions to make continuous improvements. Operations service includes NOC 24*7 monitoring, ITIL Service Management (Incident/Problem/Change), Application support by globally distributed team (US/UK/JP), and Reliability Engineering.
The scope of support includes e-commerce, online game play, social interaction, account & identify, PlayStation partner and retail commerce tools, and future services/offerings. It is essential for this role to plan for further expansion by optimally applying the operations solution validated in existing area of platform. Establishing strong trust relationship with numerous partners will be essential. Partners include SIE’s business and engineering teams, counterparts in external gaming companies, industry associations, and local authorities where we provide service.
Bringing the best Tech industry practice is highly encouraged. That will include the overall system operations process, follow the sun support design and execution, distributed team management, effective root cause analysis, important metric management.
Continuously conducting improvement actions extracted from incidents. These actions span out to wider ranges, such as engineering solution development, process refinement, change in business operations. This role needs to have a deep understanding of digital business operation to propose a realistic and effective measure.
As a part of this, you’ll be responsible to lead and develop Observability tools. This is to provide end to end consolidated view of the constantly evolving global platform. Additionally, developing operations automation solution is also in the scope.
This is a global role and international business trips will be a vital means of effective team communication and collaboration (after travel/in-person meetings are deemed safe).
- Lead all aspects of day to day global incident resolution, ensure high quality support is provided on a continuous basis.
- Define an industry leading goal for the team and carry out a plan to achieve.
- Define important operational critical metrics, monitor them to ensure continuous improvement and learning process is working.
- Align with global customers and continuously seek their feedback for the better service.
- Collaborate with internal/external teams to drive improvement action items originated from the learning of incident.
- Define and implement observability and automation tools roadmap to stay ahead of the needs of PSN teams.
- Lead and cultivate the team's culture. Encourage innovative solution to address operational issue. Enable continuous improvement, and increase execution velocity. Advocate for the best business and technical practice, not keeping the way as-is.
- Continuously learn the newest technology trend in observability and SRE area to adopt those into PSN operations.
- Plan and provide a relevant career progression path to the team members.
- Represent GSO in the new project preparedness, ensure the operations readiness for the launch.
- Design and propose efficient operations support model that satisfy respective engineering & business team
- Promote the use of observability tools to other engineering organization.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 10 years of professional experience and 5 years of multi-layered team management experience. Professional areas include IT engineering, security engineering, System operations support or professional support.
- Validated experience of the web technology or web-based application technology. Any layer of the platform will be OK.
- Handle budget for engineering organization with more than 20 members.
- Lead multi-cultural internationally distributed team with follow the sun operation.
- Gaming expertise.
- Advanced degree in relative area, PhD, MS in information science, computer science, operations management, or MBA.
Qualities that we are looking for
- Always looking to find a way to ”how can we do better??”
- Strong customer first attitude.
- Have a Curiosity to know what’s around, what’s next.
- Self starter. Pro activeness to find meaningful/ambitious/exciting problems to address.
- Lead the team with example. Excellent communication skill, enabling building trust with wider partners. Strong will to learn. Learning may not be limited to tech, but business, leadership, and may take many forms.
- Eagerness to transform incident learning into permanent solution in technology or business process. Not short-sighted.
- Strong sense-making capability to relate the industry event(Game, Tech) to your daily work.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.
Location:Date posted: 2022-07-23