Senior Data Scientist – Data Journalism
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Senior Data Scientist – Data Journalism
San Mateo, CA
As a Senior Data Scientist on the Product Data Science team, you will do groundbreaking work at the intersection of data science, journalism, and computational social science. Your creativity in translating technical methodologies for non-technical audiences will expand the company's understanding of behavioral data and its impact across critical journeys throughout the PlayStation ecosystem.
Our Data Journalist team is part of Product Data Science’s communications arm. The communications team brings together data model validators who generate trust in our team’s output and data journalists who craft compelling data stories to drive insights and ideation.
- Generate ideas for data-driven stories and for how they might be developed and communicated in a way that is compelling to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Use impactful visuals, narratives, and storytelling to develop compelling presentations for technical and non-technical partners that describe models or provide insights about the impact of our initiatives
- Work closely with a team of data scientists on key initiatives by merging model output with other business data, identifying important stories, and communicating insights to the business
- Create outputs that regularly communicate insights derived from model development and validation, and ad-hoc deep dives
- Explore ideas and outputs using statistical tools, and present them to non-statistical audiences
- Conduct user acceptance testing (UAT) on model outputs and or new data assets
- Perform ad-hoc analyses of model relationships with other models, known groups of interest, and key performance indicators and communicate results to technical and non-technical collaborators
- Challenge assumptions and push teams to ask the right questions, and then deliver the right answers
- Advocate for data-forward thinking within cross-functional teams including members from product management, marketing, and engineering teams
- Develop a detailed understanding of PlayStation behavioral data, and how this role contributes towards data driven decision making.
- 3+ years of professional experience in data-driven visualization and storytelling in a Data Analyst role, preferably for a digital entertainment business
- Curious business mentality with an ability to boil down technical approaches and complex findings into simple and compelling narratives that inspire change
- Self-starter with affinity for finding patterns within large datasets
- Experience crafting data visualizations and storytelling to effectively communicate data science models and insights to both technical and non-technical partners
- Proven track record to balance art and science when visually communicating information
- Strong proficiency in SQL-based languages
- Obsession with data quality and accuracy
- Excellent eye for business, and the ability to communicate effectively and manage relationships with team members with both technical and non-technical backgrounds
- Experience working globally, collaboratively, and cross-functionally and influencing without authority
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.
Location:Date posted: 2022-07-23