Senior Data Engineer
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
The Partners Data Engineering team (LA) provides data pipe, warehousing and analytics solutions for the PlayStation Partners Platform - a vital collection of applications and services used by our partners (content creators, game developers and publishers) worldwide to create and publish games and content on PlayStation.
Our mission is to deliver timely, scalable and high quality data and insights to empower our business to make data-driven decisions, drive operational efficiencies and identify revenue opportunities.
As Senior Data Engineer you will provide technical leadership to other team members, leading the design and implementation of end-to-end data solutions that are highly available, maintainable, secure and cost-effective.
We are looking for
- A Senior Data Engineer with a strong background in AWS to build scalable, highly available data pipes and data warehousing solutions
- An energetic professional who is passionate about solving complex problems with data who is willing to teach and learn alike
- The ideal candidate will be highly self-motivated and willing to work with multiple teams, local and remote. If this is you, please apply!
What you’ll be doing:
- Provide technical leadership - create and socialize designs, lead design sessions, perform technical reviews, lead engineering initiatives; Mentor other team members to level-up the skills and quality of the team
- Build highly scalable, resilient data pipelines
- Design and build data models which produce high quality datasets.
- Own, maintain and ensure high quality engineering standards and practices in the team
- Continually improve our SDLC tooling and processes, defining and leading initiatives for automation, simplification and minimal/controlled downtime.
- Collaborate with product and engineering teams on multiple projects leading the design and build of data solutions
- Diagnose and solve platform and data issues - perform root cause analysis and apply solutions to prevent re-occurrence
- Gain a deep understanding of our data, how it applies to the broader organization and use this to level-up our solutions
What we are looking for:
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience in a data engineering capacity with technical leadership experience
- Experience translating business needs to scalable data solutions.
- Experience building highly scalable data pipelines (batch and streaming) using AirFlow, Spark, EMR, Kafka, AWS Kinesis.
- Experience designing and developing solutions on AWS, including infrastructure as Code (e.g. Cloud Formation, Terraform, AWS CDK)
- Experience with AWS compute resources such as Lambda and EC2
- Experience with containers such as AWS ECR, ECS, and Docker.
- Experience with Cloud Data Warehousing / Data Lake technologies and architectures such as Snowflake, AuroraDB or any relational database experience.
- Proven data modeling skills - must have demonstrable experience designing models for data warehousing and analytics use-cases (e.g. from operational data store to semantic models)
- Python, shell scripting experience for automation, data manipulation and creation of applications.
- Expert SQL skills to create views and power dashboards for analysis.
- Strong understanding of software engineering principles - able to write elegant, scalable and maintainable code.
- Strong communication skills - you will be able to tailor your communication to technical and less technical audiences alike
- Experience with Airflow highly advantageous
- Experience with Snowflake highly advantageous
- Python expertise with object oriented programming knowledge.
- Experience using dashboarding tools such as Tableau, Superset, Domo or similar.
- Experience preparing large, complex datasets for Machine Learning pipelines.
- Prior experience working in an Agile environment.
- Gamer or experience in the gaming industry is a plus.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.
Location:Date posted: 2022-07-23