Principal Animation Programmer
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 750 talented people, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Zoo. We are continuing to grow our team to support our existing portfolio and an exciting and ambitious future roadmap, which includes the development of both own-IP titles and licensed-IP titles. Our IP-license partners include Universal (Jurassic World), Formula 1 and Games Workshop (Warhammer).We are also growing our team to continue the expansion of Frontier Foundry, our publishing label for games developed by carefully selected partner studios.
We have a modern spacious studio located on the Cambridge Science Park in the heart of the Cambridge tech hub. For those who wish to relocate to the Cambridge area and work either entirely in the studio or flexibly between the studio and home, we can provide generous financial and practical support to facilitate your move. We are also able to offer remote working for those who would prefer to work almost exclusively from home or who are unable to relocate. We can discuss your preferences with you during the recruitment process.
We have an exciting opportunity for a dedicated Principal animation programmer to work with our highly talented and experienced animation team. Working in our in-house Cobra engine you will drive the technology that improves how we create and use animations, both in developing tools and processes, and working directly on runtime animation systems for our Cobra game engine.
We have a proud history of great character animation, ranging from heavily stylised to realistic behaviours, across both cinematic sequences and real-time motion. Many of our games also feature mechanical animation and physically-driven responses, presenting many novel challenges beyond established skeletal animation techniques.
Fantastic animation will play a huge part in our future success, with games such as Planet Zoo and Jurassic World Evolution leading the way. Your technical expertise, experience and passion for animation technology will drive the quality at scale that we strive for in all our games.
- A Technical authority for the animation suite’s design
- Liaising with key stakeholders, particularly in the animation department, to make sure we develop the systems we need and take the best advantage we can of them
- Research and development to move our animation technology forward into the future
- Pro-actively contributing to both the animation programming and cross-discipline teams
- As a senior member of the programming team, you will be expected to support the development of colleagues, including graduates.
- Optimising the animation development processes and runtime game performance.
- A proven track record at Senior/Principal level in a similar role.
- Significant C++ experience, as well as extensive software design experience.
- Experience of developing animation systems.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability and willingness to develop others through effective mentoring and coaching skills.
- Understanding of animation workflows, techniques and tool chains.
- Expertise in game asset pipelines and animations authoring tools.
- Experience in high fidelity reactive locomotion systems for characters and/or naturalistic animal behaviour.
- An eye for animation principles and detail.
- Experience with profiling and optimisation for console development.
- Track record of animation programming in released AAA games.
- Familiarity with game asset pipelines and animations authoring tools.
- A passion for innovation in animation technology, exploring new concepts and techniques for the discipline
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
Apply for this job
Location:Date posted: 2022-07-22