As a Material Artist, you will work closely with the Senior/Lead Material Artist, and the Art Director and will be responsible for the quality and implementation of world class textures and creation of materials.
This includes the creation and maintenance of a texture and material/shader library - continuously adding hand crafted, procedurally generated, Substance generated and scan source materials to be implemented into a vast game world.
As well as having an expert understanding of the technical foundations required for creating effective high-resolution textures you will also have excellent grasp on the art fundamentals that make textures visually effective.
- Work closely with the Lead Artist, Art Director and Technical Artist to develop and maintain our material, texture and shader library
- Create high quality, high resolution textures for a large variation of assets.
- Create benchmark materials and textures to establish visual targets and document this process to guide 3D artists and other Texture Artists.
- Research and implement solutions for the effective and performant application of high resolution textures across terrain and environmental locations.
- Ensure all texture assets conform to the defined technical and artistic requirements.
- Incorporate scanned data into texture workflow as required.
- Work with production staff to manage personal deliverables, ensuring they meet the defined objectives, defined quality bar, and schedule.
- Maintain quality and consistency across your work to meet objectives, quality bar, and schedule.
- Implement and review final textures across product to ensure in-game results match expectations as well as performance constraints.
- Expert ability in the creation of PBR, normal maps, textures and materials.
- Expert knowledge of Substance Painter and Designer.
- A minimum of 2 to 3 years professional experience as a Texture Artist in the games industry.
- Strong experience with current 3D modelling tools such as 3ds Max, Maya or equivalent.
- Proven experience in sculpting ability in Zbrush or similar for texture creation workflow.
- A thorough understanding of geology, rock formations, terrain and urban location textures.
- An expert understanding of current/next gen shader technology.
- A strong understating of art fundamentals - colour theory, composition and lighting.
- Strong communication skills with the capability to successfully work across multiple teams.
- Strong interest in the latest advancements in video game graphics and visual trends.
- A positive collaborative and professional working attitude.
- Strong English skills, both written and verbal.
Build A Rocket Boy is developing EVERYWHERE; an experience with a breadth of unimaginable gameplay adventure.
We are a mix of industry leading veterans whose credits include some of the best selling and most loved games of all time. We’re a creative digital entertainment studio with an open and progressive methodology, dedicated to delivering games of the highest calibre possible.
If you want to feel comfortable, inspired, and appreciated in your work pursuits then come join us. We have offices in Edinburgh, Budapest and consider WFH candidates.
Location:Date posted: 2022-07-23