Lead VFX Artist
Proletariat, Inc. is seeking a Lead VFX Artist to join us in our work on World of Warcraft. In this role, you will guide, support, inspire, and manage FX Artists as they create vibrant spells, explosive combat feedback, and help bring the world to life in both tiny ambient motion and epic world events. You will help to drive the vision and implementation of art for visual effects in World of Warcraft and offer insightful and creative guidance. Set an example for our team with your detailed understanding of visual storytelling, artistic composition, mastery of tools, and understanding of art pipeline and production processes. You are an organized time manager, problem solver, originator of process, partner to other leads, team morale booster, a patient and empathetic communicator and listener, and an out-of-the-box thinker.
- Be the voice for the Proletariat FX Art team to the wider Proletariat and Blizzard teams.
- Work with the Art Directors and other Art Leads to shape and uphold direction and vision for WoW's VFX, communicate it to the team, and set the tone for VFX art with fresh ideas and technically solid execution.
- Mentor, motivate, collaborate with,and guide FX Artists; amplify their strengths, review their work on technical and aesthetic bases, and stay aware of their workloads, including support of the team’s work/life balance.
- Provide guidance in FX Art processes and instruct the team regarding new processes and software to match project needs
- Be a driving force in creating a welcoming and respectful atmosphere for collaboration, communication, and creativity, with an emphasis on the values of diversity and inclusion.
- Assist in running the day-to-day workflow and create and maintain process documentation for VFX art-related processes.
- Establish clear and consistent schedules in conjunction with Producers, and identify potential problems in the art pipeline and work with other project leads to prevent them.
- Interview, hire, and train new team members in collaboration with the Recruitment team.
- Lead the team in shaping ideas, consistent vision, and production-ready concept art
- Extensive experience creating high quality real-time particle systems and geometry-based visual effects
- Demo reel examples that show an understanding of traditional art principles including shape language, color theory, and visual storytelling, as well as an eye for timing
- In-depth knowledge of technology, terminology, and techniques of game art development, including an awareness of design and programming considerations
- Positively influences team morale and empowers team members, able to clearly communicate expectations and rally team around an objective.
- Leads with empathy, strong ethics, flexibility, confidence, self-awareness, and the ability to see all sides of complex situations.
- Able to communicate artistic issues to non-artists; strong presentation skills
- Brings creativity and initiative to both preproduction and production concept tasks and adapts swiftly to new themes and directions
- Ability to provide oversight to multiple timelines, self-manage and meet deadlines, able to work unsupervised for long periods and able to supervise others.
- Can be relied upon to quickly learn new processes and software as needed.
- Experience working in an iterative, agile environment.
- Self-directed, enthusiastic, positive, embraces critiques.
- Understands the audience and appreciates games
- Cover Letter
- Link to your portfolio
What we offer
- Healthcare, dental, and vision, most of which are 100% sponsored by Proletariat to cover you and your family..
- 401K plan with generous matching contributions.
- Wellness reimbursements and discounts
- Flexible working hours.
- Our office is currently still remote, but we look forward to moving to an optional hybrid model in the future. If you’re based outside of the Boston-area and you’re not looking to relocate, we understand! Just let us know your situation during your phone screen conversation, and we’ll see if we can accommodate making a remote hire!
Proletariat values a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United StatesDate posted: 2023-01-04