Lead Technical Artist
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Do you have experience managing and leading a team of technical artists? Insomniac Games is looking for a Senior Lead Technical Artist to join its Core Technology department and manage the Tech Art group that’s pushing forward the state of the art in materials, photogrammetry, and procedural workflows.
This job is primarily team management and direction, with room to provide individual technical contribution as time allows. You’ll be setting goals and making strategies for the technical art discipline at Insomniac, and you’ll be managing, mentoring, and caring for the well-being of your team members. You should have some experience with people management or technical leadership in some form.
The Tech Art group at Insomniac is part of the Core Technology department and works outside of any direct project schedules and deliverables. Their responsibilities include Substance pipelines to work with materials, ownership of the material system in Insomniac’s custom game engine, integrated and non-integrated Houdini pipelines for city generation and other environmental art tasks, and more. This group has also been building out an industry-leading photogrammetry pipeline, with an in-house scanning booth and portable scanners to capture people and objects for use in game.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following.
- Lead a team of approximately 8 technical artists in the design and development of Insomniac’s technical art tools and pipelines
- Drive the forward development of Insomniac’s technical art
- Provide technical and creative direction and feedback to your team
- Provide coaching, performance evaluation, and career development for members of your team
- Contribute code to some tools and pipelines, though never at the expense of non-technical responsibilities
- Plan, organize, monitor, and evaluate your team's work
- Communicate technical requirements and limitations to production teams
- Participate in the hiring and onboarding of new employees
- Collaborate with Insomniac studio leadership to support studio cultural values and foster a positive work environment
- Other duties may be assigned
Supervisory Responsibilities: Directly supervises a small team
Education and/or Experience:
- A thorough understanding of the technical art landscape in game development
- An aptitude for people management/developing leadership skills, with a particular focus on employee well-being
- Skills in using Python, HLSL, and common DCC tools like Houdini and Substance
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Past demonstrated technical leadership of any kind
- Previous experience managing people
- Experience scheduling, scoping, and/or distributing technical work
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.
Location:Date posted: 2022-07-23