Lead Technical Animator
With a rich history of developing multiple AAA franchises such as Little Big Planet and Crackdown, as well as contributing to genre-defining titles like the Forza Motorsport and Hitman series, Sumo Sheffield’s vast development experience spans multiple genres and platforms.
As winners of the TIGA Star Employment Award for 2021, recipients of the GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work Award and listed as one of the UK’s 100 Best Large Companies to Work for in 2021, Sumo Digital has enjoyed 18 years of stability and growth since its formation in 2003 and continues to strive for excellence across every single project.
The team have a track record of working on some of the world's biggest and best games and received two BAFTAs for their work on Sackboy: A Big Adventure. As the scale and exclusivity of projects continues to grow, there’s never been a more exciting time to join the Sumo Sheffield family!
The role @ Sumo Sheffield
We have an amazing opportunity for a highly creative Lead Technical Animator to join our Sheffield studio where they will have the opportunity to showcase and grow their skills within a seasoned and proven team. This fantastic opportunity to influence, define and manage the character pipeline of large, genre-defining AAA titles is one not to be missed. It will give the successful candidate an opportunity to join the Sheffield team in the early stages of growth, allowing them to really make a difference and help inform and develop the toolsets and pipelines for the studio.
You need to have a wealth of experience and impressive track record backed up by a body of work demonstrating your highly creative approach. A passion for developing intuitive character rigs, innovative animation tools and robust character pipelines is essential. Experience developing in Python, PyMel and Pyside is ideal. Maya API and 3D maths experience is a plus, and strong problem-solving skills are essential. Experience with in-engine animation, physics and dynamics systems in Unreal is an advantage, as well as deep experience with Maya and MotionBuilder.
This position is offered on a fully remote, hybrid or in-studio basis. Any remote working must be located from within the UK.
Within this role you will:
- Develop, manage and maintain a class leading character pipeline and toolset.
- Work closely with code, design, character art and animation to help deliver both engaging gameplay and cinematic performances.
- Demonstrate a solid understanding of animation fundamentals, human anatomy and kinesiology.
- Assist with Lead responsibilities such as mentoring, scheduling and R&D into new approaches.
- Provide detailed input during the character creation process, from initial concept to final rigging, identifying character performance and functionality requirements.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the pipelines and procedures within the studio as a whole.
We will need you to have:
- Proven industry experience developing character pipelines for console and/or PC games with a minimum of 3 published games.
- Evidence of previous games completed in a Lead Technical Animation role.
- A strong demo reel that adequately reflects this experience.
- Deep knowledge of Maya and MotionBuilder.
- Experience creating characters in Unreal Engine – physics, simulation, procedural setups, MetaHumans, etc.
- Scripting, tools and pipeline development using Python, Pymel, Pyside and the Maya and MotionBuilder APIs.
- Experience in both keyframed and motion capture pipelines.
- Understanding of the character creation process from initial concept to final rigging.
- Knowledge of FACS and experience with high-end facial animation systems.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- A keen interest in industry-wide developments and advancements in technology to ensure project pipelines stay up-to-date.
What we offer:
. Defined Annual Bonus Scheme
. ULEV car scheme
. Monthly allowance to spend on enhancing benefits
. Salary Sacrifice Pension
. Flexible Working
. 21 days free-use holiday
+ your birthday off
+ 5 learning days including 1 volunteer day
+ a duvet day
+ Christmas shutdown from Christmas Eve to New Year
+ Bank Holidays
+ extra allowance accrued for longer service
. Free dental insurance
. Life Assurance 4x Salary
. Income Protection of 75% for 5 years
. Enhanced Mat/Paternity & Adoption pay
. Employee Assistance Programme:
. Help at Hand - Remote GP, Mental Health & Physio appointments
. Free financial & home buying support consultations
. Cycle to Work Scheme
. Payroll Giving Scheme
. Access to 4,000 Udemy Courses
. Career Development Pathway
. Wrap Parties.
. Project Completion Awards
. Game/Creative Jams
. Big Family Events
. Studio social activities, e.g. running, board games, film, yoga, life drawing…
. Prism – Sumo’s employee diversity focus group
. Free fruit and drinks in our studios
. Employee Referral Bonus
Where do we stand on diversity?
At Sumo, we want to enable everyone to bring their full, authentic selves to work every single day. We acknowledge that the games industry is far from perfect and a global organisation with people all over the world, from all kinds of backgrounds, we know it’s part of our duty to provide everyone at Sumo with a safe, accepting and affirming working environment.
We encourage and welcome applicants from all backgrounds.
More about Sumo Sheffield
Sumo Sheffield is located just outside the city centre in Sumo Digital’s HQ, just off J34 on the M1 and a stone’s throw from the city’s primary shopping and leisure complex. With a multi-building campus comprised of industry-leading facilities, an onsite gym and subsidised canteen, Sumo Sheffield provides everything needed for all teams to create the world’s best games.
Sheffield is the fifth largest city in the UK and is easily accessible by road and rail from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. The city enjoys a wealth of facilities to suit a wide array of interests, including:
o World-class sports facilities
o Iconic theatres and galleries
o Multiple retail and shopping experiences
o Diverse and renowned restaurants and eateries
o The award-winning National Video Game Museum
More about Sumo Digital
Sumo Digital is an award-winning international family of studios. Recent releases from Sumo Digital studios include: BAFTA-Award winning Sackboy: A Big Adventure, Hood: Outlaws & Legends, Control Ultimate Edition on Google Stadia, Apple Arcade Award-winning Little Orpheus, Hot Shot Racing, WST Snooker and Spyder.
Apply for this job
Location: SheffieldDate posted: 2023-01-03