Blackbird Interactive is a creative-fueled, future-driven, independent game studio where the best talent in the industry can find long-term careers to help grow their abilities while working on a wide range of projects, which encompass world-class IPs as well as our own creations across multiple genres.
In 2022, we announced that our studio is implementing a four-day work week as well as supporting in-studio, remote within Canada, and hybrid work arrangements as permanent options to our employees.
The Directors of Hardspace: Shipbreaker are starting their next project! Blackbird Interactive is seeking a Lead Animator to help with the creation of a brand new IP from start to finish.
This is a rare opportunity to start a project from the seed of an idea, grow the team, work within our incredibly talented internal IP division, and craft something truly special.
You will be a key leader on a small, high-performing team who can generate ideas quickly and come up with dazzling solutions to challenging problems. You will have a collaborative approach and be directly involved in the day-to-day decision-making that will help us push our animation systems and help deliver a polished, high quality game.
Role and Responsibilities
- Establish animation workflows and best practices
- Oversee, create and implement character animations
- Work with the Art Director and Game Director to prototype, iterate and refine animations according to overall game direction
- Test animations in context of the game to ensure functionality and quality
- Work with the Technical Director in assessing and integrating animation tools / systems
- Collaborate to ensure compliance of animation features with technical, aesthetic and gameplay constraints
- Collaborate with all disciplines to create fully-realized in-game characters
- Mockup gameplay ideas in both Maya and in-engine
- Mentor, coach and support animators and other artists
- Strong practical understanding of animation logic: node graphs, animation trees and similar engine editors and technologies
- A deep understanding of animation techniques
- Enthusiastic, methodical and organized approach to work with high quality standards
- Able to document and explain work clearly and concisely
- Ability to work flexibly, accept and give feedback and adapt to change
- Good interpersonal and communication skills and ability to work as part of a multi- disciplinary team
Nice to Have
- Knowledge of and ability to skinning and rigging characters
- Experience on character action-focused games preferred
- Unreal expertise
Vacation & Extras
+ 4-day, 32-hour work week for all full-time staff
+ Mentorship program
+ Skunkworks internal game jam program
+ 4 weeks paid vacation per year
+ 11 paid stat holidays
+ 3 paid days per year for professional development
+ December holiday studio closure (extra paid time off!)
+ Comprehensive health/dental benefits from day 1
+ Life insurance
+ $300 Healthcare Spending Account per annum
+ RRSP matching up to $1500
+ Profit-sharing bonus program
If applying for an artistic role, please provide a link to your portfolio and/or demo reel.
Any questions about the role and/or accessibility requests can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Unfortunately, we cannot reply to everyone. Only successful applicants will be contacted about the next steps. Thank you for your understanding.
If you are interested in the role, please apply even if your experience and skills don’t perfectly match our ideal credentials. We are committed to inclusion and especially encourage members of historically marginalized communities to apply. As an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. BBI does not discriminate against applicants based on gender, race, national and ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.
Blackbird Interactive is privileged to be developing our projects on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish) and səl̓ílwətaʔɬ /Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
Follow us: Discord Twitter Insta FB Linkedin
Apply for this job
Location: Vancouver, BC, CanadaDate posted: 2023-01-01