Incubation Senior Character Artist
Are you on a mission to create games that bond players together into deeply invested communities? Would you like to work on something comedic with lighthearted and whimsical characters? Do you think a lot about how art impacts gameplay, how character design can enable fan cosplays, or how character poses and fashion choices speak to different cultures around the world?
As a Senior Character Artist on an Unannounced Incubation Project, you will bring iconic characters to life from prototype through production for a completely new world at Bungie. Your ability to sculpt and texture stylized models with an eye for gameplay readability will delight players, help the team explore fundamental art style choices, and provide a foundation for expressive character animation.
As an incubation artist, you will balance craft expertise with a player-first mindset and a willingness to contribute generalist art to improve prototype experience. Your understanding of design and technical constraints will enable you to deliver functional and optimized assets without an established pipeline during prototyping. Most importantly, you will work with a fun, diverse, and passionate cross-discipline team devoted to building a new universe from scratch at Bungie.
We look for candidates who value joining a mission-focused team with a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences, interests, and viewpoints.
- Translate concept art into character models while maintaining simplicity and charm
- Author stylized textures (hand-painted and/or procedural) and material shaders
- Deliver clean and performant models that support robust deformation to Tech Art
- Work closely with the Art Director to align on visual goals and quality
- Collaborate with Design and Animation to achieve clear and expressive gameplay
- Contribute generalist art to support design iteration during prototyping
- Offer constructive feedback during art team content reviews
- Mentor and support other artists as the team grows
- Ability to model and texture stylized characters, as shown through examples of professional and/or personal work
- An appreciation for whimsical charm and the ability to craft simple, appealing shapes for character animation
- Thorough understanding of anatomy, form, appeal, and color theory
- Expert working knowledge of programs such as Maya / 3ds Max, ZBrush, Photoshop, and Substance Painter
- Outstanding ability to problem-solve and drive creative solutions despite ambiguity
- Embrace “we” culture in addition to being an outstanding collaborator and communicator
- Experience with development using Unreal Engine or Unity
- Familiarity with the competitive gaming landscape
- Updated Resume (PDF Preferred)
- Updated Portfolio / Demo Reel
- Provide password if applicable
- Tailor your portfolio to the specific job that your applying for
- Portfolio breakdown: provide additional notes, references, explanations, etc.
Most Bungie full-time employees will adopt a digital first approach allowing remote work in Bungie approved locations (outside of positions identified as 100% onsite in Bellevue/Seattle, or individuals preferring a hybrid/flex environment). Prospective full-time employees located outside of CA, CO, DC, FL, GA, IL, MA, MD, MN, NC, NJ, NY, OR, TX, UT, VA, WA, or WI will need to establish residency in one of the states we are compliant in within 45 days of a start date. Contractors will follow a digital first approach adhering to the location guidelines agreed upon by our third-party employer/vendor and Bungie. Bungie’s remote policy is subject to change at the company’s discretion.
Location:Date posted: 2022-07-23