Skydance offers a dynamic, inclusive, and ever-evolving culture where innovative ideas are welcomed, and growth fostered. The partnership between unique creativity and technological advancements are demonstrated within each pillar of the company. At the heart of it all is a commitment to boldly entertaining and relevant storytelling.
While all Animation studios look to hire people who are creative and hard-working, Skydance Animation is specifically looking for pioneers who seek to push the limits of what the world’s most collaborative art form can achieve, and to give those pioneers the space and the resources to build a new studio that’s doing something different.
Assist the Grooming Supervisor to lead a team of character grooming artists, creating character hairstyles and surfacing. Work with the members of the team to provide balanced solutions to both technical and aesthetic related issues.
- Work within art direction guidelines:
- Creating complex, artistically appealing hairstyles, grooms & surfacing for human characters, furry creatures, feathered characters and props and elements
- Turn creative requests into implementable character solutions
- Ensure the grooms can be easily deformed or simulated as needed by the CFX team
- Develop generalized tools to help enhance the asset pipeline
- Debug technical issues with asset grooms
- QC the grooms to ensure they fit into the rendering resource budget, and optimize if necessary
- Document asset workflow and ensure team receives appropriate training[
- Balance issues of quality, time and resources to deliver high quality, efficient solutions for the character grooming work in the movie.
- Communicates with all related departments (production, cfx, rigging, animation, surfacing, etc) over the technical needs of the grooms.
- Assign the work to each artist, according to his or her skills.
- Provide feedback to Grooming artists on their assets, shots and request fixes.
- Mentor and lead by example. Demonstrates, communicates and exemplifies clear expectations for quality of work, productivity, communication and professionalism to the team.
- 5 years or more of professional experience
- At least 1 year of experience as Lead, leading diverse teams of artists of different backgrounds and abilities.
- Must have a good understanding of the processes of grooming, surfacing, rendering, simulation.
- Ability to consistently produce high quality grooms and delivering on schedule.
- Strong knowledge of Houdini
- Depth of knowledge in groom & surfacing tools and renderers (Houdini, Maya, xGen, Yeti, Shave and Haircut, Mari, Substance, Arnold or Renderman)
- Knowledge of CFX and simulation tools is a plus (nhair, carbon, vellum)
- Knowledge of Python or C/C++ programming, VEX and Houdini HDA creation is a plus
- High English level
- Spanish knowledge is a plus
Skydance is a diversified media company founded by David Ellison in 2010 to create high quality, event-level entertainment for global audiences. The Company brings to life stories of immersive worlds across its feature film, television, interactive, and animation divisions.
Skydance is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to building and fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce. We welcome and consider applicants for employment regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy status, military/veteran status, disability, or any other protected category. Diversity in the workplace is not just a commitment, it is who we are and a reflection of what makes our world special.
Recruitment Fraud Alert
It has come to our attention that there may be fraudulent activity by individuals impersonating our Talent Acquisition team. Skydance will only contact you from an official “@skydance.com” email address. If you suspect that you are being contacted by an unauthorized person or believe that the correspondence you have received is suspicious, please do not click on any links or attachments in such emails and submit any questions or concerns to our information security team at email@example.com.
Apply for this job
Location:Date posted: 1970-01-01