Environment Proxy Modeler
Skydance offers a dynamic, inclusive, and ever-evolving culture where innovative ideas are welcomed, and growth fostered. The partnership between unique creativity and technological advancements are demonstrated within each pillar of the company. At the heart of it all is a commitment to boldly entertaining and relevant storytelling.
While all Animation studios look to hire people who are creative and hard-working, Skydance Animation is specifically looking for pioneers who seek to push the limits of what the world’s most collaborative art form can achieve, and to give those pioneers the space and the resources to build a new studio that’s doing something different.
As Environment Senior Proxy Modeling Artist, working under the supervision of the Environment Modeling Supervisor, you will be responsible for creating the proxy models of the assigned locations during the early stages of exploration and design of the sets for Previsualization, where in such reviews, driven by the Camera DP, the location will receive notes from the Production Designer, VFX Supervisor, and Art Director, and lastly from the Director.
- Model and prototype low-resolution models of locations, based on the creative brief from the Production Designer, Art Director and VFX Supervisor, for creative conversations with the Director, driven by the Camera DP.
- Include the technical and creative brief from the Camera DP, Lighting DP, and Environment Supervisor for such reviews.
- Be part of the process by proposing alternatives when the artistic brief needs clarifying or following up with notes from reviews.
- Create low-resolution models that can represent the mood and design of the set while allowing fast iteration and performance for the Previsualization and Rough Layout phases, driven by the Camera DP.
- Able to prioritize LOD for the sets for each stage, including color information.
- Ability to create, adapt, and iterate, within a variety of artistic styles.
- Ability to properly research and work independently in absence of concept art.
- Knowledge of procedural systems, technical constraints, and optimization of models.
- Ability to work in Maya and Unreal Engine.
- Create fast and optimized proxy models with the required meaningful information (shape, color, design language) in order to help the creative process evolve.
- Partner with the Environment Modeling Supervisor in approaching the best techniques for each challenge, in order to create clean files for the departments downstream, preparing them for the Rough Layout phase and as an input for the High Res Modeling phase.
- Work within established standards for naming conventions, as well as established tools and workflow so that the work fits seamlessly into the pipeline.
- Able to manage different sensitivities and stakeholders.
- Shows order and prioritization on the assigned tasks and stages (Art, Previs, RLO).
- Keep up on current artistic methodologies and on technology trends and tools that best suit the production and the company in the development of a stronger creative and technical environment.
- Guide and mentor other team members.
- At least 4 years of experience in the animation or videogames industry
- Extensive experience with Maya.
- Experience with Arnold render.
- Drawing, and/or painting skills are a plus.
- Experience in Real Time engines, is a big plus.
- High English level desirable.
Skydance is a diversified media company founded by David Ellison in 2010 to create high quality, event-level entertainment for global audiences. The Company brings to life stories of immersive worlds across its feature film, television, interactive, and animation divisions.
Skydance is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to building and fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce. We welcome and consider applicants for employment regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy status, military/veteran status, disability, or any other protected category. Diversity in the workplace is not just a commitment, it is who we are and a reflection of what makes our world special.
Recruitment Fraud Alert
It has come to our attention that there may be fraudulent activity by individuals impersonating our Talent Acquisition team. Skydance will only contact you from an official “@skydance.com” email address. If you suspect that you are being contacted by an unauthorized person or believe that the correspondence you have received is suspicious, please do not click on any links or attachments in such emails and submit any questions or concerns to our information security team at email@example.com.
Apply for this job
Location:Date posted: 1970-01-01