Engineering Manager, Game Backend Services
We believe that the world is better with more creators in it.
One way we’re supporting creators at Unity in Edinburgh is by building a suite of products that help games developers and publishers build, manage, and grow live games. For example, we are building a collection of Game Backend Services, allowing game studios of any size to easily add Economy, Leaderboards, Cloud Save, Multiplayer and much more to their games in just a few lines of code. We want developers to spend their time and energy creating fantastic games, rather than re-inventing the wheel.
We’re looking for a solution-oriented, people-first, Engineering Manager to mentor and grow a team of highly skilled engineers toward building our scalable backend gaming services. You will be working within the team that works on services including Economy and Player Management, with an opportunity to influence key projects and help shape the future of the Gaming Services Platform.
- Build and foster a team culture that is positive, encouraging, inclusive, and engaging
- Develop and grow your colleagues, and work deeply with them to achieve their potential
- Drive day to day execution and delivery of tasks by using Lean and Agile methodologies, and motivating your team by explaining how their work relates to the wider business context
- Foster strong collaboration with neighbouring Engineering teams, as well as Product, Design, and Data folk to develop high-quality, focused products, that enable our users to have a consistently great experience across all Unity services
- Continuously improve your people management, engineering knowledge, leadership and collaboration skills, utilising all the Learning and Development courses and support we provide
- Previous job experience as a software engineering manager or development lead and serving as line manager for small to medium sized teams
- Experienced with software engineering best practices and bringing a disciplined approach to testing and driving reductions in technical debt
- Customer focused, with ability to offer input on high level solutions to customer problems that helps drive product roadmap
- Comfortable operating with a high level of autonomy and accountability
- Desire to work in a team, learn from others, and help others to learn
- Knowledge and understanding of the challenges that come with building distributed, highly available, and scalable cloud based systems
Life at Unity
Unity (NYSE: U) is the world’s leading platform for creating and operating real-time 3D (RT3D) content. Creators, ranging from game developers to artists, architects, automotive designers, filmmakers, and others, use Unity to make their imaginations come to life. Unity’s platform provides a comprehensive set of software solutions to create, run and monetize interactive, real-time 2D and 3D content for mobile phones, tablets, PCs, consoles, and augmented and virtual reality devices.
Unity is at the forefront of development by working alongside partners to ensure optimized support for the latest releases and platforms. Apps developed by Unity creators were downloaded more than five billion times per month in 2020. For more information, please visit www.unity.com.
Unity is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. If there are preparations or accommodations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Unity does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Unity will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Unity.
Location: Edinburgh, ScotlandDate posted: 2022-01-20