Director, Engineering - Ultra
Role descriptionThe opportunity
Unity’s Ultra Simple Creation (Ultra) team is building out new creative tools that will encourage and enable entirely new markets of makers. Your role will be to define technical solutions across a wide range of problems: web & mobile authoring, scaling, content management and distribution, 3D, animation, video and more.
Our product team, Ultra, is an extension of Unity’s belief that the world is better with more creators in it. We are highly targeted at substantial number of everyday, common creative tasks that ordinary people have to do. We make it easier than ever to make beautiful, high quality creations.
This role is especially pivotal as a ‘startup founder’. You will work alongside your peers in design & product, and are specifically responsible for making technical decisions. You will also be a key stakeholder lending engineering expertise to the overall vision, strategy, and product priorities. You will report directly to the VP of Ultra, and your role is critical to the team’s success.
This is a rare opportunity to join a 0-1 product team inside a well-established, successful company, helping to expand Unity’s tool suite to an entirely new class of users.What you’ll be doing
- We want you to join the founding team developing a brand-new Unity product that will be used by millions of real-time creators
- Be the first engineering hire and build out the organization
- Craft and architect a massively scalable web-first, cloud-based system from the ground up
- Be responsible for a growing team with multiple leads and functional areas including: presentation engine, creation suite, persistent storage, teamwork, content management, content distribution, creator marketplace, analytics, plugins and SDKs
- 15+ years proven experience
- 10+ years managing engineering and/or product teams
- 10+ years hands-on experience developing and shipping web-based and mobile technology and applications, in particular 3D, animation and rich media engines, creation tools, streaming services and consumer applications
- Significant experience in full stack Web development
- Experience in building and growing engineering and product organizations
- Ability to manage multiple teams and work streams
- Strategic problem solver with the ability to work with multi-functional partners at all levels
- Agile approach: build, test, and measure; iterate quickly based on customer feedback, evolving market conditions and company critical initiatives
- Experience in marketing, sales, business development and/or corporate development roles
- Startup experience, from the garage through exit
Life at Unity
Unity (NYSE: U) is the world’s leading platform for creating and operating real-time 3D (RT3D) content. Creators, ranging from game developers to artists, architects, automotive designers, filmmakers, and others, use Unity to make their imaginations come to life. Unity’s platform provides a comprehensive set of software solutions to create, run and monetize interactive, real-time 2D and 3D content for mobile phones, tablets, PCs, consoles, and augmented and virtual reality devices.
The company’s 1,800+ person research and development team keeps Unity at the forefront of development by working alongside partners to ensure optimized support for the latest releases and platforms. Apps developed by Unity creators were downloaded more than five billion times per month in 2020. For more information, please visit www.unity.com.
Unity is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. If there are preparations or accommodations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this Web site or directly to managers. Unity does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Unity will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Unity.
Location: San Francisco, CA, USADate posted: 2021-12-11