DFX Supervisor (DNEG VFX)
Our DFX Supervisors are creative leaders who work closely with all VFX departments, across a number of international locations to deliver the worlds’ best visual effects. A key focus of this role is to collaborate with Show Leads & Supervisors to deliver high quality, realistic shots and sequences, in line with each clients vision, budget & schedule.
The DFX Supervisor oversees a team of Department Supervisors, who in turn work closely with Artists creating CG assets & shots. The role influences the shot pipeline set up, making improvements to workflow and efficiency where required.
This position has a high level of creative influence and controls the quality delivery of CG elements and imagery for each project. Throughout the Show, the DFX Supervisor provides creative leadership, ensuring direction is being followed and project milestones are reached.
They establish and uphold communication standards, ensuring clarity is maintained between the VFX Supervisor, Department Supervisors, Artists, and the production team. At early stages of the Show’s development, the DFX Supervisor will contribute to bidding and sequence planning and help build client trust with options and certainty.
As a key member of the leadership team, the DFX Supervisor proactively provides feedback on crew and pipeline. It is critical to consider the big picture of the Show and ensure departments are empowered to make decisions, in line with the creative goals of the project.
Creative and Technical Responsibilities
- Delivering creative realisation to the VFX Supervisor and ensuring visual continuity across a Show and departments
- Interpreting the creative vision of the VFX Supervisor and providing a clear, consistent, creative brief to Department Supervisors and Artists
- Presenting and selling work to the VFX Supervisor
- Providing clear and constructive creative feedback to Artists
- Delivering a Show on time, on budget and to the required standards
- Developing and maintaining DNeg’s quality standards
- Supporting the use of consistent, global department workflows and processes
- Compiling and presenting Show post-mortems.
- Developing cross department workflows and processes with Department Supervisors and Heads
- Strategies to improve operational efficiency on an ongoing basis
- Design of more effective workflows
- Approving work that is ready to progress to the next department
- Resolving conflicts of workflow approach between departments.
- Creative and technical leadership and support of Artists
- Design and development of standardised workflows and processes
- Delivering the highest quality work out of dailies to the Client / VFX Supervisor
- Ensuring feedback is concise and constructive in directing Artists to reach milestones & Show targets
- Day-to-day oversight of department dailies.
Production Planning Responsibilities:
- Ensures work is delivered according to the Show schedule
- Maximising productivity through effective organisation across departments
- Communicating with all departments to manage dependencies
- Progress tracking and reporting across all departments.
Team Management Responsibilities:
- Explaining the work and requirements of their Show to HoDs to ensure they can resource the best possible team to execute the work
- Provides accurate and detailed feedback as required
- Day-to-day oversight of the Show Supervision team.
Needs to Have:
- Extensive VFX post-production experience
- Previous experience as a CG or Comp Supervisor, or a Senior Department position
- Supervisor or Sequence Supervisor on a minimum of three high-end feature films
- Excellent creative eye and aesthetic judgment
- Ability to sell creative solutions and ideas to clients and VFX Supervisors
- Ability to reduce complex problems to their most simple solutions
- Thorough, end-to-end understanding of the VFX pipeline
- Ability to meet deadlines under pressure
- Expert in Maya, Nuke, Houdini and/or Clarisse, and proficient in other industry standard software.
Needs to Be:
- A proven team leader with strong motivational and initiative qualities
- An excellent communicator and collaborator
- Recognised attention to detail and organisational skills
- Technically and creatively astute
- Highly organised.
We are DNEG, one of the world’s leading VFX and animation studios for the creation of award-winning feature film, television and multiplatform content. We employ nearly 8,000 people with worldwide offices and studios across North America (Los Angeles, Montréal, Toronto, Vancouver), Europe (London) and Asia (Bangalore, Mohali,Chennai, Mumbai) and Australia (Sydney).
Location: London, United KingdomDate posted: 2023-01-20