Destiny Lighting Artist (Mid to Senior)
Bungie is looking for a Senior Lighting Artist to join us in our fight against the Darkness. When you walk into a corridor, does the mood and tone speak to you? Do you find yourself fascinated by the navigational guidance and points of interest provided by lighting? Are you excited to immerse players in a captivating world? Whether it is natural or artificial light sources, color grading or visual effects - we know how important a role Lighting plays in the game’s experience.
As a Senior Lighting Artist on Destiny, you will work to ensure that Art Direction’s vision for lighting and atmosphere is realized. You will collaborate with your fellow lighters and other disciplines to refine our best practices and elevate our content. Utilizing proprietary tools, you’ll embellish Destiny’s worlds, characters, and narrative content - supporting the team’s goals with reviews for both pipeline and creative endeavors. Most importantly, you will create a breathtaking experience to delight players around the world.
If this is the experience you’re looking for, we are right there with you! It's what drives us every day. Come be a part of our team and let's create bold, new worlds together!
- Collaborate with Art Direction and cross-discipline team members to maintain lighting’s aesthetic and technical standards
- Partner with graphics engineers, tech art, and tools teams to develop lighting processes and technology
- Own lighting for game worlds, dynamic/scripted lighting, character and hard surface object light rigs, and in-game narrative content from start to finish
- Work with Design stakeholders to ensure gameplay needs are met
- Stay informed on new developments in rendering, particularly about lighting, atmosphere, and surfaces
- Provide constructive feedback to production artists who are working on lighting-related tasks
- Strong understanding and sense in lighting, shadow, and color to create a visually engaging piece
- Ability to follow and adapt to a wide range of design references to achieve lighting expectations
- Experience in lighting characters and environments, interior & exterior, different times of day, etc. With various lighting techniques and tools
- Understanding of composition and the ability to enhance mood through lighting
- Experience with materials/shaders and an understanding of their relationship with light
- Competent 3d modeling / texturing skills (ie. light fixtures / practical support for light sources)
- Wide understanding of lighting/rendering technologies
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Comfortable working autonomously and in a collaborative environment in taking direction from Art Director/Leads and working with others on problem-solving
- Experience with Unreal Engine 4, 5, Unity3D or other modern development toolsets
- Experience with and passion for games
Most Bungie full-time employees will adopt a digital first approach allowing remote work in Bungie approved locations (outside of positions identified as 100% onsite in Bellevue/Seattle, or individuals preferring a hybrid/flex environment). Prospective full-time employees located outside of CA, CO, DC, FL, GA, IL, MA, MD, MN, NC, NJ, NY, OR, TX, UT, VA, WA, or WI will need to establish residency in one of the states we are compliant in within 45 days of a start date. Contractors will follow a digital first approach adhering to the location guidelines agreed upon by our third-party employer/vendor and Bungie. Bungie’s remote policy is subject to change at the company’s discretion.
Location:Date posted: 2022-07-23