Data Scientist – Insights & Modeling
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Data Scientist – Insights & Modeling
San Mateo, CA
The Direct to Consumer (D2C) team are part of a vibrant organization that manage the digital store for PlayStation. D2C brings together staff from around the world, with a passion for engaging PlayStation gamers with relevant and entertaining content. This area of Sony Interactive Entertainment has seen significant growth in recent years to become a key revenue contributor and continues to evolve with the industry to build new business opportunities. As the central analytics organization within D2C, the Insights and Modelling team supports the commercial operations for D2C based on insights, modelling, and storytelling. The team empowers the business with robust data analytics to effectively meet and exceed their commercial objectives. We are looking for individuals who are motivated by working across a distributed team, working together at the forefront of digital content distribution.
Reporting to the Manager, Data Science, the Data Scientist will be responsible for leading advanced analytics and modelling initiatives to support the strategic direction of the D2C team. The Data Scientist will focus on designing and executing statistical models to deliver insights and recommendations to expand business opportunities!
The candidate is a hardworking and flexible teammate with a proven technical skillset, is an excellent communicator, and thrives in a fast-paced environment.
What you'll be doing:
- Work cross-functionally to define problem statements, collect data, and apply statistics to sophisticated business problems
- Develop custom models; be a self-starter passionate about finding the best solution to the problem!
- Optimize models and algorithms to identify insights that are used to drive decision-making across the organization
- Use quantitative analysis and the presentation of data to see beyond the numbers and understand what drives our business
- Wrangle constantly evolving, large, and complex data on users and content using tools such as SQL and Python
- Routinely connect with partners and leadership on modelling projects; present in a cohesive, logical, and proficient way from the original business question to a strategy recommendation
- Collaborate closely with business teams within D2C to identify and evaluate opportunity areas for advanced analytics initiatives
- Collaborate with other Data Scientists and analytics teams in the wider organization
What we're looking for:
- 2+ years’ experience in a commercially focused analytical role, preferably in the digital retail and/or digital entertainment industry
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant technical or mathematical field
- Solid theoretical and practical understanding of Statistics (e.g. hypothesis testing, experimentation, causal inference, classification and regression)
- Proficiency in SQL and Python
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to articulate ideas and present complex analyses to non-technical audiences
- Ability to take ambiguous problems and tackle them in a data-supported way
- Proven track record of using data to drive business decisions with strong analytical skills including the ability to structure problems for analysis, analyze the data, and provide meaningful recommendations
- Can work collaboratively across functions
- Ability to self-manage and balance projects and priorities
- Ability to initiate and drive projects to completion with minimal guidance
- Familiarity with the AWS ecosystem and Docker
- Experience with visualization tools: Tableau, MicroStrategy
- As the role is global, international travel may be required as well as a flexible approach to working hours to support global business operations
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.
Location: San Mateo, CADate posted: 2021-12-16