PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
As a part of Sony Interactive Entertainment, the Future Technology Group (FTG) team is leading the cloud gaming revolution, putting console-quality video games on any device!
As a Data Engineer on the Future Technology Data Engineering team you will play a key role in the design and development of server-side applications for shaping, managing and transforming data on a large geographically distributed infrastructure for Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE)’s Future Technology Group (FTG).
You bring passion and expertise to continuously improve the value that our data platform provides to data producers and consumers across the organization, providing tooling, best practices and state-of-the art technology to empower data-driven decisions to the company.
Who are you?
- You are a team player: you think that it’s worth to drop what you are doing to help a colleague, as it will make at least 2 people happy
- You are open minded: you make your due diligence and like to back up your opinions, but you’re always ready to listen, understand and change ideas when it makes sense
- Able and eager to learn and pick up new things quickly
- You enjoy working in a fast-paced environment, always chasing for the latest state-of-the-art technology
- You have strong communication and documentation skills
- You strongly value proactive ideas exchange and technical conversation with your colleagues, but you are able to work independently and remotely most of the time, collaborating with colleagues located in other timezones
- You prefer to have full accountability and decisional space on how to approach a problem, only working according to its vision and business objective
- You value contribution to the open-source community through blog posts and articles as well as source code and artifacts
- These values resonate to you: Innovation, Inclusion, Iteration, Customer-centricity, Extreme ownership, Collaboration, Results drive, Embracing failure, Work-life balance
What do you know?
- Degree in Computer Science, or a related quantitative field
- 3+ years relevant experience with a consistent track record of using extensive amounts of data to drive product innovation
- Fluent in JVM Languages (Scala, Java) and Python
- Experience in SQL
- Knowledge of software paradigms like functional programming, object oriented programming, DDD, TDD
- Knowledge of Web technologies including REST, JSON, gRPC, and WebSockets
- Expertise on data structures (JSON, Avro, Protobuf) as well as unstructured and semistructured data
- Experience with ETL or ELT pipelines
- Experience with stream processing, real-time pipelines as well as batch processing
- Experience with Apache Kafka, Flink and Spark
- Familiarity with software development tools and processes like Git and CI/CD (Gitlab)
- Skilled in designing microservices
- Strong understanding of concepts such as concurrency, parallelism, and event driven architecture
- The following requirements are a plus:
○ Experience with Kubernetes
○ Experience with AWS in general
What will you do?
- Design complete or parts of data pipelines taking scale, performance, security, usability under consideration
- Liaise with product domain teams to help them turn data into information, and information into business value
- Design, implement, maintain and evolve processing pipelines to support their data products
- Shape solutions to ensure the privacy and security of our players’ data
- Contribute in building a data catalog making wisdom accessible across the organization
- Implement, measure and monitor reliability for the services you will provide
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.
Location:Date posted: 2022-07-23