Skydance offers a dynamic, inclusive, and ever-evolving culture where innovative ideas are welcomed, and growth fostered. The partnership between unique creativity and technological advancements are demonstrated within each pillar of the company. At the heart of it all is a commitment to boldly entertaining and relevant storytelling.
While all Animation studios look to hire people who are creative and hard-working, Skydance Animation is specifically looking for pioneers who seek to push the limits of what the world’s most collaborative art form can achieve, and to give those pioneers the space and the resources to build a new studio that’s doing something different.
As a Crowds supervisor, you will be overseeing a team of crowds animation and simulation artists in building complex crowd behaviors, during asset and shot production, partnering with the Production Designer, VFX Supervisor, and CG Supervisor, ensuring the artistic direction and technical specifications are met and carried out on schedule and within budget, participating in developing any new technology required to meet the specific creative and technical needs of a show.
- Oversee and review the work of a team of crowd artists ensuring the artistic brief and guidelines from the Production Designer and VFX Supervisor are met for the assigned show.
- Understand and communicate to the team the creative objectives with the support of an art brief or, sometimes, able to work with little direction.
- Establish the reviewing and look development strategy for the department.
- Responsible for the evaluation of the artist's work, making sure it follows the quality standards and artistic direction.
- Perform daily one-on-one rounds with Crowd Artists, guiding and assisting with technical problem solving and determining when crowds are ready for review with VFX Supervisor/CG Supervisor.
- Keep up on current artistic methodologies and on technology trends and tools that best suit the production and the company
- Work with CG Supervisors, TDs, R&D, Pipeline, and Production Management to improve and evolve the production pipeline and methodologies.
- Participate in the development and management of the department workflow.
- Troubleshoot creative/technical issues as they arise. Provide hands-on assistance to the Crowd Animators.
- With the VFX and/or Animation Supervisor, identify Crowds and Cycle needs.
- State potential technical or schedule implications when receiving comments on crowd elements relative to delivery dates.
- Acts as the primary contact person and is responsible for the department.
- Works closely with the Production Supervisors in the management of the department, biding the work and creating the schedule based on an approved quota, ensuring it is met during production, casting appropriately to artists.
- Collaborates and keeps a fluid communication relation with other departments.
- Responsible with Production Supervisor for maintaining crew morale, fostering a good working atmosphere, and ethics.
- Give guidance to the team, supervise the quality of the work, and, works closely with production, in the fulfillment of deadlines.
- Mentor potential up-and-coming talent to make them grow in the Studio.
- Partner with HR to source and recruit the best industry talent for the department.
- Acts as an ambassador of the company. Has an extensive network in the industry and plays a key role in selling the studio as a first-class working place, maintaining ongoing relationships with key industry players, and contributing to the good reputation of Skydance Animation.
- Over 8 years or more of professional experience in VFX or animation industries.
- At least 4 years of experience as a Lead in the animation industry.
- Experience building new pipelines is a bonus.
- Professional experience in shot crowd films and programming knowledge, interfaces creation, task automation with programming (Python, Mel…).
- A strong creative/technical background as proven leader in setting direction for a production and for inspiring and motivating production staff.
- Strong working Knowledge of Atoms.
- Strong working knowledge of AI systems such as Golaem, Massive, etc.
- Strong working knowledge of Houdini.
- Strong knowledge of procedural rendering in Arnold.
- Good understanding of 3D computer graphics theory and practice.
- Good understanding of shape, composition, physical motion, weight and balance.
Skydance is a diversified media company founded by David Ellison in 2010 to create high quality, event-level entertainment for global audiences. The Company brings to life stories of immersive worlds across its feature film, television, interactive, and animation divisions.
Skydance is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to building and fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce. We welcome and consider applicants for employment regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy status, military/veteran status, disability, or any other protected category. Diversity in the workplace is not just a commitment, it is who we are and a reflection of what makes our world special.
Recruitment Fraud Alert
It has come to our attention that there may be fraudulent activity by individuals impersonating our Talent Acquisition team. Skydance will only contact you from an official “@skydance.com” email address. If you suspect that you are being contacted by an unauthorized person or believe that the correspondence you have received is suspicious, please do not click on any links or attachments in such emails and submit any questions or concerns to our information security team at email@example.com.
Apply for this job
Location:Date posted: 1970-01-01