As a Content Designer in our Edinburgh studio, you will be working within the Design team to produce exceptional environments and exciting gameplay experiences. You will work with the Level & Game Designers, Artists & Scripters to build interactive and immersive locations in different locations of the game’s world - aligned with any gameplay requirements.
Through collaboration with the Design and Script team, you will use and help to develop an accessible set of custom level editing tools, that will allow players to create their own content.
You will be involved in all the steps of producing content, from the paper design & blockout to final implementation and optimization phase.
This position is also expected to be able to deal with other disciplines to resolve problems and elicit requirements. A Content Designer should understand best-practice and standard techniques in level editors and systems and will seek to learn more about innovations within the industry.
- Plan, build and iterate on interesting and visually compelling environments through gathering reference & creating paper designs through to a final polished level
- Work closely with Content stakeholders to ensure playability is executed to the highest standard
- Collaborate with the Design and Art teams to create and refine environments for gameplay purposes
- Ability to document behaviours of tools and gameplay features
- Prioritise, plan and manage the time of assigned tasks with oversight
- Communicate clearly with other team members with minimal external help
- Be vigilant for and report new problems, delays and risks to the appropriate stakeholders
- A good understanding of level design principles and the theories of what makes games fun
- Experience working with a game engine (UE, Unity, UDK or other proprietary), using tools to create environments and/or gameplay
- Experience working in 3D applications (3Ds Max, Maya, Blender etc.) is desirable but not required
- A portfolio demonstrating maps or missions created with modern game engines or in a game featuring player facing creation tools
- Self-motivated and driven to creatively solve problems
- Able to plan their work with oversight
- Desire to work in a fast-paced, high growth, start-up company environment
- Strong English skills (written as well as verbal)
- Experience with Unreal Engine 4 or Unreal Engine 5 is desirable but not required
- Shipped AAA game(s) is desirable but not required
- Willing to work full time in our office in Edinburgh
Build A Rocket Boy is developing EVERYWHERE; an experience with a breadth of unimaginable gameplay adventure.
We are a mix of industry leading veterans whose credits include some of the best selling and most loved games of all time. We’re a creative digital entertainment studio with an open and progressive methodology, dedicated to delivering games of the highest calibre possible.
If you want to feel comfortable, inspired, and appreciated in your work pursuits then come join us. We have offices in Edinburgh and Budapest.
Location:Date posted: 2022-07-23