Content & Ratings Manager
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
The Content & Ratings department is a unique team nestled under the Engineering, Compliance & Release pillar within PlayStation Studios QA. The Content & Ratings team provides services that help inform stakeholders of potential content risk for all 1st party products. The Content & Ratings team help to obtain desired global age rating certificates and guide teams to remain within that assigned rating with all post-release content.
The Content & Ratings Manager is a subject matter expert on global content risk analysis. The Content & Ratings manager meets with stakeholders to help strategize execution of Content & Rating services for all 1st-party titles, with strict attention paid to complete customer satisfaction excellent communication and service delivery. The Content & Ratings manager provides general supervision and mentorship to the junior team members, helping them to adhere to stakeholder, process, service and project requirements.
The Content & Ratings Manager has a high-level knowledge of the Content & Ratings discipline and often determines the appropriate course of action for projects that might deviate from the standard process, or that may be at risk of impacting the SIE brand. The Content & Ratings Manager helps to develop solutions aimed at improving process knowledge and achieving team goals.
The Content & Ratings Manager will spend approximately 50% of their time coordinating process related tasks and title reviews, with the remaining 50% to be spread out across project related tasks focused on process improvements, service consultations and delivery, and stakeholder management. Assigned projects will be considered high impact areas that require extensive knowledge of C&R processes to accomplish.
Manage the responsibilities of the Content Risk Assessment Test Suite, which may include:
- Assist with the creation and management of the Content Risk Assessment database/workflow
- Direct junior level team members through the Content Risk Assessment review for AAA/high profile titles
- Direct and educate QA testers through the Content Risk Assessment review for lower risk titles, support the senior staff on AAA/high profile titles
- Review products and report content concerns through the Content Risk Assessment Jira process, track content as it develops through the product life cycle
- Review products from an experienced global perspective and aim to ensure global risks are escalated and tracked as needed.
- Provide consultation and guidance to development teams for content that poses risk to team vision and threatens targeted ratings or public cultural reception.
Manage the Global Age Rating Submission Process for all projects, which includes:
- Direct junior level team members through the Global Age Rating Submission Process for AAA/high profile titles
- Direct and educate QA testers through the Global Age Rating Submission Process for lower risk titles, support the senior staff on AAA/high profile titles
- Review products for potential Age Rating concerns and scenes required for submission to the Age Rating boards
- Discuss and track incomplete scenes required for submission and track timelines for implementation
- Provide consultation on questionable content areas
- Track and share assigned ratings with Stakeholders and keep product rating information up to date and accurate in all outward facing systems, such as Global Rating Database, Sony Content Pipeline, etc.
- Coordinate with rating board partners to ensure privacy concerns are addressed and information leaks are prevented
Manage the responsibilities of the Asset Clearance Review Suite with limited direction from senior staff, which may include:
- Assist with the creation and management of the Asset Clearance database
- Assist PD and Studio and deliver assets to Legal stakeholders for review and use approval
- Review and advise on pertinent asset risks that could impact the Content Risk Assessment
- Asist stakeholders to ensure timely completion of the Asset Clearance phase
- Enter and Manage Jira tickets and coordinate required content updates for title assessment reviews
- Responsible for TestRail and JIRA database maintenance and updates for Content Risk Assessment test suites with instruction and details provided to relevant stakeholders
- Provide information necessary for weekly reports and archiving of Age Rating and Content Risk Assessment assets and materials
- Ensure archiving of Age Rating and Content Risk Assessment assets and materials is completed in a timely manner
- Proactively identify, propose, and execute efficiency and usability improvements to create efficient global test cases, as well as other tools and processes used by the Content & Ratings team
- Participate in drafting, tracking, and completing progress on yearly team goals & initiatives
- Support ad-hoc projects and provide expert consultation to support business needs of the organization.
- At least 3 years in the game industry or at least 2+ years working in the Content & Ratings discipline
- High level knowledge around aspects of the QA testing life cycle, as well as requirements for various global age rating entities
- Be proactive, can multi-task and perform time management effectively; Content & Ratings team members deal with multiple projects and processes simultaneously, and must be able to handle tasks with ever-shifting priorities
- Firm knowledge of game development and retail release lifecycle to determine interdependencies and drive effective operational solutions.
- Experience with using audio and video editing software (Vegas, Premiere, Cyber Link Power Director, etc.)
- Excellent communicator, able to deliver excellent customer service while still adhering to guidelines and policies.
- High level of knowledge around Global Age Ratings Guidelines and Regulations, Legal & Business Affairs processes, and an understanding of the impact these processes have on the industry and our business
- Quickly grasp highly technical concepts as explained by Developers, Support teams, Test Services, etc. and extract core messages for summary and explanation to others
- High level of knowledge around various platform technologies & system features; knowledge of compliance related tools is beneficial, but not required
- At least 5 years in the game industry or at least 2+ years working in the Content & Ratings discipline
- Certification in Project Management and/or Agile Scrum methodologies
- Degree or equivalent certificate in the field of Business, Computer Science, Project Management, Communications, from a fully accredited university preferred
- Passionate curiosity for and awareness of cultural and societal topics in global pop culture, and how those topics can impact content creation in our products.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.
Location:Date posted: 2022-07-23