Character Surfacing Supervisor
Skydance offers a dynamic, inclusive, and ever-evolving culture where innovative ideas are welcomed, and growth fostered. The partnership between unique creativity and technological advancements are demonstrated within each pillar of the company. At the heart of it all is a commitment to boldly entertaining and relevant storytelling.
While all Animation studios look to hire people who are creative and hard-working, Skydance Animation is specifically looking for pioneers who seek to push the limits of what the world’s most collaborative art form can achieve, and to give those pioneers the space and the resources to build a new studio that’s doing something different.
As a Character Surfacing Supervisor, you will be supervising a team of surfacing artists in establishing the look and surface qualities for characters, props and environments while overseeing the exploration of efficient options needed to generate the desired visual style set by the Production Designer and VFX Supervisor. Partners with the TD Supervisor and Lighting Supervisor to ensure that the direction and technical specifications are met and carried out on schedule and within budget.
- Establishes the strategy and processes of the surfacing department .
- Oversees and reviews the surfacing work for characters and defines the style of shaders and textures of a team of surfacing artists, ensuring the artistic brief and guidelines from the Production Designer and VFX Supervisor are met for the assigned show.
- Understands and communicates to the team the creative objectives with the support of an art packet or, sometimes, able to work with little direction.
- Establishes the reviewing and look development strategies for the department.
- Evaluates artists’ work, making sure all the assets follow the quality standards and artistic direction.
- Partners with the Production Designer, VFX Supervisor and the Lighting DP to ensure all assets are shaded in such a way to be able to achieve the intended performance requirements.
- Partners with Lighting, Modeling, FX, R&D and TD Supervisors to ensure shader development can be delivered at the highest quality and in a timely manner and ensuring that the construction of the shaders for the desired look can be rendered in lighting.
- Liaises with Art Direction, Design, Modeling, Rigging, Animation, Lighting and Compositing departments as needed.
- Manages the workflow within de department and fulfill production schedule requirements on a weekly basis.
- Develop the department’s pipeline in collaboration with the VFX supervisor, the TD Supervisor and PE
- Assigns the work to each team member, according to his or her skill set.
- Gives guidance to the team, supervises the quality of the work, and works closely with production, in completing deadlines.
- Partners with HR and TA to source and recruit the best talent in the industry.
- Mentors potential up-and-coming artists to guide them in their career paths.
- Acts as a company ambassador utilizing his/her extensive network in the industry, and plays a key role in selling the studio as a first-class place of work, maintaining ongoing relationships with key industry players, and contributing to Skydance’s reputation.
- Keeps up on current technology trends and tools (hardware and software) that best suit the production (and the company) in the development of a stronger creative technical environment.
- 8+ years in VFX or animation industries.
- 4+ years of experience as Lead in the animation industry.
- A strong creative background as proven leader in setting direction for a production and for inspiring and motivating production staff.
- A good eye for color, composition and detail.
- Great with time estimations, assessments and prioritizing.
- Must be able to work alone and collaboratively, often with multiple tasks and under deadline pressure.
- Knowledge of Houdini, Scripting in VEX is a plus
- Knowledge of Karma and Material X, a big plus
- Knowledge of classical painting is a plus
- Advanced English level.
- Spanishis desirable.
Skydance is a diversified media company founded by David Ellison in 2010 to create high quality, event-level entertainment for global audiences. The Company brings to life stories of immersive worlds across its feature film, television, interactive, and animation divisions.
Skydance is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to building and fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce. We welcome and consider applicants for employment regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy status, military/veteran status, disability, or any other protected category. Diversity in the workplace is not just a commitment, it is who we are and a reflection of what makes our world special.
Recruitment Fraud Alert
It has come to our attention that there may be fraudulent activity by individuals impersonating our Talent Acquisition team. Skydance will only contact you from an official “@skydance.com” email address. If you suspect that you are being contacted by an unauthorized person or believe that the correspondence you have received is suspicious, please do not click on any links or attachments in such emails and submit any questions or concerns to our information security team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply for this job
Location:Date posted: 1970-01-01