Associate Combat Animator
At Rockstar Games, we create world-class entertainment experiences.
A career at Rockstar Games is about being part of a team working on some of the most creatively rewarding and ambitious projects to be found in any entertainment medium. You would be welcomed to a dedicated and inclusive environment where you can learn, and collaborate with some of the most talented people in the industry.
At Rockstar North we specialise in Locomotion for humans and animals in a number of gameplay areas. This opening is an exciting opportunity to create dynamic animations for player enemy characters in gun combat. The successful candidate will be involved in creating realistic movements across a variety of movement styles and combat situations. If you are passionate about animation and interested in building ground-breaking animation systems within a creative and unconstrained environment, please get in touch. Candidates with technical, problem-solving skills are especially encouraged to apply.
This is a full-time permanent position based out of Rockstar’s unique game development studio in the heart of Edinburgh.
WHAT WE DO
- We create open-world gameplay mechanics that are used to make immersive experiences.
- We work as a global animation team to collaborate on player experiences.
- We use our onsite motion capture facilities to prototype new systems, directing talent and fine-tuning the results with code and design.
- We participate in multi-discipline gameplay reviews, ensuring animation data is responsive and implemented with a strong consideration of technical and gameplay constraints.
- We encourage ownership and creativity where everyone’s voice is heard.
- Work closely with animators and programmers to create, implement, and debug compelling gameplay mechanics.
- Collaborate with the Animation, Code and Design teams, to achieve balance between animation fidelity and gameplay responsiveness.
- Work closely with colleagues under the guidance of a Lead Animator.
- Support the planning of motion capture shoots and direct actors.
- Be self-motivated and willing to get involved in wider areas.
- Bachelor’s degree in Art/Animation or equivalent experience.
- Demo reel demonstrating strong animation principles, and preferably their implementation in a real time engine.
- Proficiency in a major animation package (e.g. Maya, MotionBuilder, etc.).
- Positive, solution-orientated individual, with a deep-rooted interest in video games, and game development.
- Strong skills in animating the human figure to create realistic character animations.
- Strong understanding of human body mechanics and posing.
- Able to create realistic human animation in a variety of movement styles that are distinctly different from each other.
- Some understanding of development issues in getting animations into a game.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and ability to work closely with Artists, Designers and Programmers.
Please note that these are desirable skills and are not required to apply for the position.
- Practical knowledge of programming languages (Python, C# / C++, etc.).
- Practical experience using parametric blend spaces, motion trees or state machines.
- A showreel that demonstrates your animations working in either Unity or Unreal Engine.
- Proficiency with MotionBuilder.
- Experience of working with motion capture data.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply with a CV and cover letter demonstrating how you meet the skills above. If we would like to move forward with your application, a Rockstar recruiter will reach out to you to explain next steps and guide you through the process.
Rockstar is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to hiring, promoting, and compensating employees based on their qualifications and demonstrated ability to perform job responsibilities.
If you’ve got the right skills for the job, we want to hear from you. We encourage applications from all suitable candidates regardless of age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, belief, or race.
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland, United KingdomDate posted: 2023-01-02