Animation Technical Assistant
Skydance offers a dynamic, inclusive, and ever-evolving culture where innovative ideas are welcomed, and growth fostered. The partnership between unique creativity and technological advancements are demonstrated within each pillar of the company. At the heart of it all is a commitment to boldly entertaining and relevant storytelling.
While all Animation studios look to hire people who are creative and hard-working, Skydance Animation is specifically looking for pioneers who seek to push the limits of what the world’s most collaborative art form can achieve, and to give those pioneers the space and the resources to build a new studio that’s doing something different.
As the Animation Technical Assistant, you will hold an entry level position that will expose you to the animation pipeline and many aspects of the overall studio production pipeline. You will support a given Animation Team and help facilitate their job. This position takes direction from the Director of Animation and/or Lead Animators.
- Assist the Animation Director with technical aspects of the job.
- Assist in checking rig progress, in overseeing technical animation tests for rig/asset updates, in delivering feedback to rigging and in finding technical solutions.
- Be the liaison between departments regarding implementation and effectiveness of tools and pipeline solutions.
- Manage rigging requirements for props and test them prior to using in shots.
- Closely collaborate with PE, on the development of software solutions for the Animation department, facilitating with testing at the various stages of development and communicating feedback as representative of the Animation Director.
- Oversee a small “fixing team”, where they can handle everyday problems and facilitate the smooth flow of shots through the pipeline.
- Oversee final QCs for the Animation Department and decide on appropriate action for technical problems that might arise.
- Assist team with technical questions, e.g.: explain how to best use a specific rig, how to solve common bugs that keep appearing in Maya, how to implement and best use tools.
- Assist with technical documentation of tools, workflows, best practices. The Animation Technical Assistant is the person that can welcome new hires and guide them through the SDA workflows during their training period. (e.g. editing, publishing, and using custom tools).
- Take care of more technical shots that do not need character animation but mainly animation of props.
- Assists with reviewing material and communicates with Anim Production Supervisor and editorial for sequence updates, scratch voice updates, dialogue updates etc.
- Experience with Maya.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Problem-solving and troubleshooting in a technical environment.
- Experience the Windows environment.
- Scripting in Python is a plus.
Skydance is a diversified media company founded by David Ellison in 2010 to create high quality, event-level entertainment for global audiences. The Company brings to life stories of immersive worlds across its feature film, television, interactive, and animation divisions.
Skydance is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to building and fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce. We welcome and consider applicants for employment regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy status, military/veteran status, disability, or any other protected category. Diversity in the workplace is not just a commitment, it is who we are and a reflection of what makes our world special.
Recruitment Fraud Alert
It has come to our attention that there may be fraudulent activity by individuals impersonating our Talent Acquisition team. Skydance will only contact you from an official “@skydance.com” email address. If you suspect that you are being contacted by an unauthorized person or believe that the correspondence you have received is suspicious, please do not click on any links or attachments in such emails and submit any questions or concerns to our information security team at email@example.com.
Apply for this job
Location:Date posted: 2022-07-22