PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Academic Manager (Research and Development)
Future Technology Group
At Future Technology Group, we are transforming the experience of play through bold innovation and technical creativity, using our skills and passion to push the boundaries of what’s possible and build the future for PlayStation.
We work with universities in a variety of ways, such as sponsoring research groups, funding PhDs, placing researchers directly into our projects, and co-authoring papers. These partnerships - in areas including AI, CV, AR/VR, graphics, audio, and UX - give us access to state-of-the-art research which helps shape and accelerate our work.
As the manager of our academic program in North America, you will make these partnerships happen. You will use your knowledge of and connections with the academic sector and your understanding of our strategy to envision and realize new collaborations. You will deliver tangible results in the form of change and growth in our projects, helping to create new products and services for PlayStation.
- Develop and maintain relationships with the academic community, including creating and maintaining deep relationships with specific institutions/laboratories that are of strategic importance to Future Technology Group
- Champion academic research in Future Technology Group, empowering others to communicate and collaborate with academia
- Find and develop new academic research opportunities
- Set up and manage academic collaborations
- Continuously improve the program – develop new partnerships, find new ways to engage, increase the number of collaborations, maintain a database of contacts, track engagements, measure their value
- Collaborate with other groups across PlayStation to co-ordinate university outreach
Required Skills and Experience
- Five years’ experience in program management or business development
- People focused: thrives on forging strong networks of productive relationships
- An engaging communicator and effective influencer who can represent and promote the organization to external audiences in formal and informal settings
- Understands, prioritizes, and responds to the needs of multiple external and internal stakeholders, including senior academic and business leaders
- Thinks both strategically and tactically, using creativity and initiative to find new ways to connect business needs with external opportunities
- Works independently, proactively, and persistently, without direct management
- Experience of corporate or academic research programs
- Knowledge and understanding of the academic sector
- Experience developing and leading scalable outreach programs
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Games industry experience
- Understanding of technologies used in building games and game platforms
- Able to quickly acquire high level understanding of new technologies
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.
Location:Date posted: 2022-07-23